Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers

Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

This One is for my Husband - 4 Months

Yup, that is right people, 4 months! Can yo believe it? We have officially been on the wait list for a referral for 4 months now!  Our agency has told us that the average time for a referral is 4-6 months.
Now we are officially within that window. So things are starting to become more 'real' for us. I have questioned our agency if the average is different because we are requesting two children. They have assured us that the average is still 4-6 months. Also becuase we are requesting one boy and one girl, I thought this could make our wait longer, but they still say that the average is 4-6 months. Of course this is still an average so our wait could be longer than 6 months.

With our agency you are not just a number waiting to be matched with the next available child. What they try to do is really match the children with a family that they think is the best fit or match. I am not really sure how they are able to do this when they don't know us much more than pictures and a letter, but I still trust in the process. I like knowing that someone put 'thought' into matching our children with us instead of just being a number on the list. Even if that might just mean one boy and one girl were from the same region and therefore wanted to keep them with one family. Who knows what it means, but I just like feeling my babies were hand picked just for us and I know they will be perfect additions to our family.

What I do know though is there is a higher request for girls to be adopted than for the boys. It seems that if you request a boy the wait has been much less than for girls. I am speaking across ethiopian adoptions in general, not just our particular agency. That being said, I am anticipating a longer wait becuase we are requesting a boy and a girl (even though our agency says the avg. is still 4-6 mo). Knowing that, my thought is that Jack is likely to be a little older than Hayley, even if it is just by a few months. If I had to guess, I think we will get a referral in the early part of Sept.

Based on the avg. wait times and the age our children when they are referred I estimate that our kids will have been born or will be between May 1 and Aug 1. 

No word of the day today. Sam is already falling behind. Slacker. He better be ready to 'bring it' tomorrow though so he better study up.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on 4 months on the waitlist!!! Amazing! I hope the remainder of your time goes very quickly! :)

    My guess is that Jack will be younger than Hayley. I can't wait to find out. :)

    ReplyDelete